The database formerly known as HealthSTAR, a product of the National Library of Medicine (NLM), was discontinued in 2001. OVID has continued to offer this database as a separate product, leading to some confusion as to whether there really is a HealthSTAR or not. Ebling Library will be discontinuing support for the OVID version of this data, but the information is still available via PubMed and the NLM Gateway.
Most people want access to the journal articles from HealthSTAR, and these are still available via PubMed. Here are some tips and tricks for getting to them:
- Limit a PubMed search to health administration journals by adding “AND jsubsetH” to a search
- Limit a PubMed search to technology assessment journals by adding “AND jsubsetT” to a search
- Information about search hedges for Health Services Research and Healthy People 2010 is available at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/bsd/special_queries.html
Health Services Research (non-PubMed)
The content of HealthSTAR not in PubMed is divided up in several different National Library of Medicine databases; information and access can be found here: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/nichsr/db.html
Health Services Research Using My NCBI
Registering for My NCBI & customizing for UW journal access:
- Click on REGISTER in the My NCBI box at the right of the screen..
- Follow the instructions to enter a username, password and security question. Enter an email address to be used for automatic email updates and the "Send to Email" feature in PubMed. Click REGISTER.
- If you wish to view UW’s Find It button in your emailed results, click on OUTSIDE TOOL in the left bar.
- Click on U in the alphabet list.
- Click on the button to the left of UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-MADISON: FIND IT.
Important: Check your email account for a confirmation from My NCBI. You must follow the directions in this message for email alerts to function. Note: Some junk mail filtering programs interpret the initial email from NCBI as spam. If you haven't received your confirmation within an hour, check your junk mail folder.
To set up custom HSR filters in your My NCBI account:
- Within PubMed, click on MyNCBI at the top right of the screen.
- Click on Filters in the left bar.
- Click on PubMed.
- Click on the “Browse” tab, then click on Health Services Research Queries (under Properties).
- Click on the appropriate category, then click in the box to the left of “Add a result tab for all items that match this filter.”
- Add more tabs (up to 5) by clicking “Back” on your browser until you reach the category you’d like to choose from.
Help and Questions?
Questions or suggestions? Contact Allan Barclay