Physical Therapy Portal
Physical Therapy Portal
Welcome, Physical Therapy faculty, staff, and students!
Use this portal for quick access to the commonly used information resources selected by your program and your Ebling Library Liaison.
- PubMed (MEDLINE)
PubMed, the free version of MEDLINE, is the largest health literature database (indexing over 4500 journals). While somewhat complicated, the search engine is very powerful for those who know how to use it. When looking for answers to clinical questions, systematic reviews should be consulted first. If no recent or relevant reviews exist, one should use the PubMed Clinical Queries filter to find the best individual studies on a topic. This filter is designed specifically to limit your results to those studies atop the evidence hierarchy (e.g. RCTs).
- CINAHL Plus
CINAHL Plus with Full Text is the world's most comprehensive source of full text for nursing & allied health journals, providing full text for more than 750 journals indexed in CINAHL. This authoritative file contains full text for many of the most used journals in the CINAHL index - with no embargo. CINAHL Plus with Full Text is the definitive research tool for all areas of nursing and allied health literature.
- Cochrane Library
The Cochrane Library is an international project designed to quickly provide authoritative evidence-based answers to clinical questions. Reviews are created in a structured format and developed from an extensive and systematic search of the literature (generally randomized controlled trials). The Cochrane Collaboration has developed a strict methodology detailing how their reviews are performed, which they use to make best-practices recommendations for clinicians. This is an excellent source of EBM data for the busy clinician.
- EBP Links
A variety of links to databases, websites, tools and calculators for evidence based healthcare practice.
- ERIC (Educational Resources Information Center)
ERIC, the Educational Resource Information Center, contains more than 1,243,000 records and links to more than 224,000 full-text documents from ERIC.
- National Guidelines Clearinghouse
Comprehensive listing of evidence-based clinical practice guidelines from the U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- PEDro (Physiotherapy Evidence Database)
The Physiotherapy Evidence Database is a product of the Centre for Evidence-Based Physiotherapy, an international non-profit organisation with services hosted in Australia. It provides rapid access to bibliographic details and abstracts of randomised controlled trials, systematic reviews and practice guidelines
The PsycINFO , database, American Psychological Association's (APA) renowned resource for abstracts of scholarly journal articles, book chapters, books, and dissertations, is the largest resource devoted to peer-reviewed literature in behavioral science and mental health. It contains over 2.5 million citations and summaries dating as far back as the early 1800s. Journal coverage, which spans from 1887 to present, includes international material selected from more than 2,200 periodicals in more than 27 languages.
REHABDATA, produced by the National Rehabilitation Information Center, is the leading literature database on disability and rehabilitation. The database describes over 70,000 documents covering physical, mental, and psychiatric disabilities, independent living, vocational rehabilitation, special education, assistive technology, law, employment, and other issues as they relate to people with disabilities. The collection spans 1956 to the present.
Provided by the Sport Information Resource Centre, SPORTDiscus offers comprehensive, bibliographic coverage of sport, fitness and related disciplines. This database contains well over 1,392,000 records with journal and monograph coverage going back to 1800; over 22,000 dissertations and theses and reference to articles in 60 different languages
- Web of Knowledge
Access to several databases including Web of Science (scientific citations), Biological Abstracts, Zoological Abstracts and Journal Citation Reports (journal impact factors and other metrics)
American Physical Therapy Association
The Ebling Library subscribes to the journals with bolded titles;
for access to other journals log in at the APTA site with your membership login & password
Web site: www.acutept.org
Quarterly publication: Acute Care Perspectives
Aquatic Physical Therapy
Web site: www.aquaticpt.org
Publications: The Journal of Aquatic Physical Therapy and the electronic Waterlines newsletter
Cardiovascular & Pulmonary
Web site: www.cardiopt.org
Quarterly publication: Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy Journal(available online since Sept 1, 2004)
Clinical Electrophysiology and Wound Management
Web site: www.aptasce.com
SIGs: Electrophysiologic Evaluation, Physical Agent Interventions: Electrotherapy, Thermotherapy, Light Therapy, and Wound Management.
Quarterly electronic newsletter: Clinical Electrophysiology. SIGs: Electrophysiology, Electrotherapy, and Wound Management.
Web site: www.aptaeducation.org
SIGs: Academic Administrators, Academic Faculty, PTA Educators, and Clinical Educators.
Publication: Journal of Physical Therapy Education (available online since 2004)
Federal Physical Therapy
The Federal Physical Therapy Section promotes quality health care across the continuum of care within Federal medical services. The Section provides opportunities for networking, continuing education, leadership, and professional development for all physical therapists and physical therapist assistants who are or have been employed by the federal government in civil service, as members of the uniformed services, as contractors or as tribal hires, and who practice in a variety of settings including clinical, education, and research.
Web site: www.geriatricspt.org
SIGs: Balance and Falls, Health Promotion and Wellness, and Osteoporosis.
Publications: 3 times/year peer-reviewed Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy and 6 times/year clinical magazine GeriNotes.
Web site: www.handrehabsection.com
Five times/year newsletter: Hand Prints.
Health Policy & Administration
Web site: www.aptahpa.org
SIGs: Cross Cultural and International and Technology
Quarterly publication: The HPA Resource/HPA Journal (available online since 2007)
Web site: www.homehealthsection.org
Quarterly publication: Quarterly Report.
Web site: www.neuropt.org
SIGs: Brain Injury, Degenerative Diseases, Spinal Cord Injury, Stroke, Balance and Falls, and Vestibular Rehabilitation
Quarterly publication: Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy (JNPT) (available online since 2007)
Web site: www.oncologypt.org
SIG: HIV/AIDS, Palliative and Hospice Care, and Lymphedema
Publications: Rehabilitation Oncology (triannual) and electronic newsletter (quarterly).
Web site: www.orthopt.org
SIGs: Occupational Health, Foot and Ankle, Performing Arts, Pain Management, and Animal Physical Therapist
Publications: monthly Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy (JOSPT) (available online since 1994) and quarterly Orthopaedic Physical Therapy Practice (OPTP).
Web site: www.pediatricapta.org
SIGs: Adolescents & Adults with Developmental Disabilities, Pediatric Sports-Fitness, School-based PT, and Neonatology
Publications: Pediatric Physical Therapy and Section on Pediatrics Newsletter (available online since 2001)
Web site: www.ppsapta.org
Monthly publication: Impact. (A special subscription program is available to non-PT practice administrators of PPS members.)
Web site: www.ptresearch.org
SIG: Qualitative Research
Semiannual Publication: Section on Research Newsletter.
Sports Physical Therapy
Web site: www.spts.org
Publications: Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy (JOSPT) (available online since 1994) and North American Journal of Sports Physical Therapy.
Web site: www.womenshealthapta.org
Triennial publications: Journal of the Section on Women's Health and Highlights in Women's Health.
- Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics, 11th ed. (2007)
- Caring for Patients from Different Cultures: Case Studies from American Hospitals
- Case Studies in Cultural Diversity: A Workbook
- Clinical Evidence
- Current Diagnosis and Treatment in Orthopedics, 4th Ed. (2006)
- DeLee and Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, 2nd Ed. (2003)
- Dictionary of Medical Acronyms and Abbreviations
- Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary
- Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 2nd Ed. (2008)
- Gender, Ethnicity and Health Research
- Handbook of Gender Culture & Health
- Health Assessment through the Life Span
- Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology, 7th Ed. (2005)
- Man's Health Sourcebook
- Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy, 18th Ed. (2006) (STAT!Ref)
- Mosby's Guide to Physical Examination
- Mosby's Physical Examination Handbook
- Racial and Ethnic Differences in the Health of Older Americans
- Review of Medical Physiology, 22nd Ed. (2005)
- Stedman's Dictionary, 28th Ed. (2006)
- Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary
- Users' Guides to the Medical Literature: A Manual for Evidence-Based Clinical Practice
Neuro Rehab Links
- CDC - Preventing Falls
- Family Village from the Waisman Center
- Internet Stroke Center
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders & Stroke
- National Association for Rare Disorders
- Neurologic Exam Videos & Descriptions (University of Utah School of Medcine)
- StrokEngine (McGill University)
- Vestibular Disorders Association
- WEMOVE (Worldwide Education and Awareness for Movement Disorders)
Women's Health Links
- American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- American Urogynegologic Association
- American Urogynecological Society Patient Resource (urinary & fecal incontinence, prolapses)
- International Continence Society
- International Organization of Physical Therapists in Women's Health
- International Pelvic Pain Association
- Interstitial Cystitis Network
- National Association For Continence
- National Vulvodunia Association
- National Osteoporosis Foundation
- National Breast Cancer Foundation
- North American Menopause Society
- Women's Health Network
- AAOMPT - American Academy of Orthpaedic Manual Physical Therapists
- APTA - American Physical Therapy Assocatio
- WATA - Wisconsin Athletic Trainers Association
- WCPT - World Confederation for Physical Therapy
- WPTA - Wisconsin Physical Therapy Association
Practice Rules & Legal Info
- Physical Therapy & Physical Therapist Assistants Code Book (Wisconsin)
- License, Permit & Registration Services (Wisconsin)
Tools for Authors
Journal Impact Factors
Questions or suggestions? Contact the Clinical Sciences Team