The editorial board welcomes submissions from students, staff, and faculty of the UW-Madison health sciences community (including UW Health, School of Medicine and Public Health, School of Nursing, School of Pharmacy, School of Veterinary Medicine, University Health Services, related health programs on campus such as Occupational Therapy and Kinesiology, among others, as well as other departments conducting research into the health sciences).
How & When:
Submissions are now closed for the Spring 2022 issue.
- Check back for the next issue call for submissions.
Artists may submit one entry per type/medium per issue.
Please note that all submissions will be blind reviewed, so please do NOT put the artist/author name on the document(s) and filenames being submitted. In the form there is a place for the author/artist name.
If this is not followed, the managing editor will ask you to re-submit with the identifying info removed.
- Original writings only. No copies.
- 1 piece of prose or 1 poem permitted per issue period.
- Essays/non-fiction and short stories no more than 5000 words, flash fiction no more than 500 words, and poems no more than 2000 words. (Exceptions may be made for longer work.)
- Submissions should be checked for spelling and grammar, double-spaced, and 12 pt font.
- File type accepted: doc, no larger than 24MB.
- Original art only. No copies or photographs of other artists’ work.
- Digital 2D art or well photographed 2D and 3D art. This means good lighting, no distracting backgrounds.
- 1 visual art entry permitted per issue period.
- Resolution must be at least 300 dpi.
- File types accepted: jpg, png, no larger than 24MB.
- Original audio and video only. No covers or copies.
- 1 multimedia entry permitted per issue period.
- File types accepted: mp3, m4a, ogg, wav, mp4, m4v (MPEG-4), mov, wmv, avi, mpg, 3gp (3GPP), no larger than 24MB.
All authors and artists whose work may discuss or reference patients or patient care must follow and comply with HIPAA before submitting. For those submitting who are affiliated with UW-Madison, you may contact the Office of Compliance if there are doubts or concerns about being HIPAA-compliant. For those not affiliated with UW-Madison, please contact your institution’s HIPAA compliance office.
No simultaneous submissions accepted.
Submission is not a guarantee of publication. All content will be reviewed by the board prior to publishing. The board reserves the right to accept or reject submissions at their discretion and/or to remove content from the publication at any time.