Ebling Library InfoCommons
- Laptop/Equip Checkout
- Group Study
About the InfoCommons
The InfoCommons is spread across both floors of the Ebling Library along the Atrium window. It is the result of a merging between the Ebling Library and the HSLC InfoLab, providing an integrated environment for library and information technology staff, services, and resources. It is open to the entire UW-Madison Community (currently enrolled students, faculty and staff of all schools). Access to the InfoCommons workstations requires logging in with a UW ID number.
The InfoCommons offers a variety of resources and services, including:
Use of the InfoCommons computers must be consistent with the University's mission and with its role as a public agency. For more information, please see the Policy for Appropriate Use of UW-Madison Information Technology Resources.
There are 115 desktop workstations spread throughout the Ebling Library. From all workstations, you can access the internet, search a variety of databases and open/edit Microsoft Office applications. You may also view DVDs, listen to CDs and use mini USB hard drives.
InfoCommons Workstations [check availability]
UW ID required
- 60 iMacs - Dual Boot (Windows 7 or MacOS 10.6) - Individual Student Workstations
21.5" Monitor; 2.5 GHz Intel Quad Core i5; 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750 (512MB-DDR5) Graphics, DVD+-RW Optical Drives, SDXC Card Reader, Firewire 800 port, Thunderbolt port
- 12 iMacs - Dual Boot (Windows 7 or MacOS 10.6) - Collaborative Student Workstations
27" Monitor; 2.7 GHz Intel Quad Core i5; 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6770 (512MB-DDR5) Graphics, DVD+-RW Optical Drives, SDXC Card Reader, Firewire 800 port, 2 Thunderbolt ports
Public Access Workstations
No UW ID required; limited software available
- 43 Windows PCs - Individual Public Workstations
The InfoCommons and Public Access computers offer a variety of desktop applications. Need something we don't have? Check for software available at other campus labs.
50 MacBook Pro Dual Boot (OSX or Windows 7) laptops are available for 3 day loan. Each unit comes equipped with basic productivity software.
Please see the UW InfoLabs Equipment Checkout System website for a detailed description of campus-wide checkout policies.
- There is quota of 20 laptop checkouts per patron, per semester
- You must present your UW ID and another photo ID to checkout a laptop
- Checkout is limited to 3 days
- Items are checked out on a first come first serve basis, reservations are not available at Ebling.
- Laptops must be returned to the Ebling Library Service Desk during regular library hours
- Overdue fines are $20 per day
- Patrons are responsible for any loss or damages to the laptop or accessories
- Laptops cannot be renewed
- Laptop Checkout Policy Sheet
Video cameras and other equipment is available for 3 day checkout, unless otherwise specified..
- Panasonic MiniDV with tripod (1)
- Canon FS31 Digital Camcorders (Tripod checkout available) (4)
- Canon VIXIA HF11 High Def. Camcorder (Tripod checkout available) (1)
- Casio XJ-A140 Projectors (2) 1 day checkout
- FinePix AX200 12 megapixel (2)
- Logitech USB Microphones (2)
- Zoom H2 Portable Recorder Microphones (10)
- Floppy Drives
- Flash Drive (4GB & 2GB)
- Memory Card Reader (HC)
- Zip-Drive (100MB or 250MB)
- LaCie Slim DVD±RW 1 day checkout
Cables & Adapters
- Network Ethernet Cables
- 12' VGA/Audio Cables
- Firewire Cable
- Palm Hot-Sync cables
- Power Adapters (Dell PA-10 90W)
- Power Adapter (Apple MagSafe 60W)
- Power Outlet Strip (6' cord)
- Laptop Cable Locks
- Mini DisplayPort to VGA (Mac) Adapters
- Mini DVI to VGA (Mac) Adapter
- DVI to VGA Adapter
Connecting to HSLC Wireless
The HSLC wireless network is available in most areas of the InfoCommons and the Ebling Library. This will provide you access to the same databases as the library workstations. To connect, you must have a wireless enabled laptop.
- Open your browser
- You should see the HSLC Wireless connection at the bottom of your screen.
- No password or log in is required.
- If you are unable to connect to the network, ask us for assistance
If you do not have a wireless card, you may connect to the network via an ethernet cable plugged into one of the many data jacks spread throughout the InfoCommons and the library.
Recommendations from the School of Medicine & Public Health
The UW School Of Medicine & Public Health recommends that students acquire a PDA sometime during their second year. Many hospital residents and practicing physicians now use PDAs on a routine basis as an important resource for class schedules, patient care information and for data management and reference.
- More information is available in the Mobile Computing Information Handout.
- If you have questions about purchasing a PDA, or what software is available, please contact Adrian Gay.
- For additional information about mobile devices and apps, see our mobiles portal.
Below is a list of recommended software, some of it will be an important part of your clinical years and used frequently, others will be reference, calculators, schedules, etc.
EpocratesRx (Free Version)
Free mobile drug and formulary reference. Available for iPhone/iPad, and Android.
Integrated drug, disease, and diagnostic suite for mobile devices. Available for iPhone/iPad, and Android.
Essential Evidence Plus for Mobile Devices
A powerful electronic resource packed with all of the medical evidence you need to make critical patient care decisions. Essential Evidence Plus features must-have content, tools, calculators, and daily email alerts for clinicians who deliver first-contact care.
First Consult (MD Consult)
Clinical decision support resource leveraging the evidence based answers & point-of-care
content, found within MD Consult, providing access to leading books, journals, and review articles. Available for iPhone/iPad only.
Micromedex® 2.0 (mobileMicromedex®)
Access to evidence-based referential content for medication management, disease and condition management, toxicology, and patient education. Available for iPhone/iPad, and Android.
|iPod Touch (4th gen.)
||iPhone 4 (or newer)
The SMPH recommends and supports iOS ( iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad) devices.
Many of the medical programs needed are also available for Google Android, BlackBerry & Windows Mobile platforms.
SMPH Security Guidelines
- In the interests of adhering to HIPAA rules, if you use your Mobile Device/PDA to keep track of patient information you are expected to password protect the device.
- Password protection should always be active and set for 5 minutes or less. Your Mobile Device/PDA should be set to turn off automatically within three minutes or less.
- Synchronization of sensitive Mobile Device/PDA information with home computers. Please be cognizant when synchronizing patient and staff-related data on home computers.
- Home Cable, DSL, and/or LAN users should have a Firewall security protection installed on their home computers.
- Home computer users who have sensitive data on their Mobile Device/PDA are responsible for ensuring that the data is secure. Transfer of a home computer or Mobile Device/PDA to another person necessitates erasing of all patient and staff-related data.
- Printing requires a debit/copy card or a Wiscard Print Account
- Card vending units are located in the copy centers. Initial card cost is $1.00 ($0.25 for card w/$0.75 toward printing)
- Money can be added to Wiscard Print Account online
- Rate is $.07 per page.
- Each computer is connected to a black & white print release station - your print job corresponds to the number on the front of your computer.
- Rate is $.50 per page.
- Print jobs are sent to the color print release station which is then taken care from the Service Desk.
Medical School Printing
This service is only available to the following students:
Medical Students (years 1-4)
Physicians Assistant (years 1-2)
Physical Therapy (years 1-2)
- You must first set up your account (stop by service desk)
- Access printing menu from desktop shortcut on InfoCommons workstations (NOT available from public workstations)
- 500 page quota per fall & spring semesters
- 250 page quota summer semester
There are four copy centers spread throughout the library. Each copy center is equipped with a copy machine and a scanner.
- Rate: $.10 per page. You may use a copy/print debit card at any of the copy centers in Ebling. There is one coin operated copier located on each floor of the library.
- Color Copies: Copy center copiers are b/w only. If you need a specific image from a journal printed in color, ask the staff at the service desk for help. Rate is $.50 per page.
- Larger formats: If you need to copy onto 11X14 or 11X17 size paper, ask staff for assistance.
Scan and email articles or pages from books to your email account as a pdf document. This is a free service.
Copy Center Scanners
- Each of the 4 copy centers in the library is equipped with a scanner (no color in 3110A).
Collaborative (Triplex Desks) Scanners
- 4 - Epson V500 flat bed scanners.
- These will scan in color, allow changes in resolution, and save in various file formats (.bmp, .tiff, .jpeg, .pdf, etc.)
Help & Tips
- Step-by-Step Instructionsare located above each scanner in the copy centers.
- Use a wisc.edu email account if possible. Other accounts such as hotmail have storage problems with large PDF files.
- Break a large number of originals into separate scan jobs so your files are not too large to open.
- Check your email before you leave to see if the scan is there. Lost scans are NOT recoverable!
Have something to fax? Let us send it for you!
- There is no charge for the fax transmission service
- Service is available for sending only
- We can fax items nationwide only (sorry, no international faxes)
- Please inquire at the Ebling Library Service desk
Group Study Rooms
16 rooms located on 3rd Floor are available for group study.
10 of the group study rooms have a large LCD screen.
- Check out a 12' A/V cable from the Service Desk to connect a laptop to the screen.
- Instructions are posted on the wall near the monitor.
To check availability:
- Click a room on the map to check availability and place a reservation.
- Or check the schedule page to see all current reservations for Ebling Library
Questions or suggestions? Contact Us